Saturday, May 2, 2009

Homemade Power bars

Ok, since I am constantly sucking down Cliff Bars, I decided to try to make my own and see what I could do. After reading a great article on how to make your own energy bars, I made a few tweaks, rolled up my sleeves, and got to work.





My Ingredients


3 1/2 cups rolled oats
2 scoops protein powder
1 T cinnamon
1 cup nonfat dry milk
1/2 cup chopped dates/raisins
1/2 cup chopped nuts
1/4 cup Ovaltine

1 banana mashed
1/4 cup molasses
1/4 cup light corn syrup
1/4 cup Honey or Agave syrup
1 t Vanilla extract
1/4 cup juice
2 egg whites
1 T vegetable oil
1/4 Cup apple sauce

Optional
1/4 cup Peanut butter
1/2 cup chocolate chips

Instructions

1. Thoroughly mix all the ingredients in a bowl
(mix the dry ingredients together before adding liquid ingredients, then mix everything)

2. Put spoonfuls on the waxed paper (use some non-stick spray on the paper)
and form into bars (I use a plain table knife for doing this.)
Spreading the spoonfuls out a bit as you put them on the paper makes this much easier

3. Bake at 330°F for approximately 17 minutes or until the bottoms of your bars are golden brown

Here is what they looked like before going into the oven:















And then after baking:
















The batch yielded 14 bars and were very close in size to a Clif Bar.


I did a nutritional analysis of these bars (yes, I know I'm a geek) and here are the final numbers:


Calories per bar: 253.5

Fat per bar: 6.4 g

Protein: 9.0 g

Sugar: 22.8 g



These numbers were extremely close to the Clif Bar as well! (Almond/Cherry was used in comparison)

The fat content was a little higher in my bars due to the added nuts, but you can tweak as you like. I opted to add chocolate chips, and next time may add Peanut butter, look forward to a revised recipe soon!

All in all, they turned out great, fit great into the snack ziplocks (which are reusable so less waste). If you try, let me know how they turn out!


2 comments:

Unknown said...

They look great. I'll have to try out your recipe!

Unknown said...

I made them and added coconut, wheat germ and sunflower seeds. Also, if you use parchment paper their is no need to use cooking spray. What a great recipe, thanks for all your hard work and research. I am a crazy canuck too living in niagara falls canada also with hubby and 2 boys. Thanks again, it will save us some bucks.