Monday, November 2, 2009

Halloween candy consolidation?

It occurred to me while raiding looking through my son’s Halloween candy yesterday, that all people bought the same candy to give out to treaters. In fact, I think if I held up my son’s loot next to the Costco "mixed" snack size candy, they would be identical.

Apart from M and M’s, snickers, butterfinger, and Hersheys snack size candy, there were no unique candies. If I’m not mistaken, most of the treats came from the same manufacturer, Mars Inc. (or Hersheys). There were also a lot less houses participating, my guess is every second house did not give out treats. My era? 1 in 10 did not participate.

Next year I am going to search for some unique treats, and buy a lot of the full size bars for the cool costumes – let’s treat the kids right!

2 comments:

David said...

There's lots of competition these days from school programs, parks & rec programs, stuff at the malls, etc... They're really discouraging kids from trick or treating, any more, and I think it's sad...

Mark Kadlec said...

David - That's actually another thing I noticed this year, all the corporate handouts!

I do like the thought, but part of me wonders if the $5 they invest in candy gets 100 people in the store.

The quality has definitely gone down, let's change that perception!